Mis?Adventures in Watercolor: Dahlia-ence with a Triad

Nita Leland's high-key triad uses Transparent Yellow, Permanent Rose, and Cobalt Blue.  I don't have any of those colors in my palette, and after a little research, I determined that the closest I come is Hansa Yellow Light, Quinacridone Rose, and Phthalo Blue (RedShade).  I doubt I got the same effect she is trying to give us.  But hey!  I'm not buying any more watercolors, lol!

To vary things a bit, I decided to try out one of the Arches Watercolor boards that I bought for my class (new class coming up this afternoon--yay!)  I picked up three sheets of the coldpress surface, and when I got home, realized that two sheets had a smoother surface (probably hotpress).  They had already been cut to size, and I'm never loathe to try something new, so I decided to use them anyway.

The color doesn't flow easily on this surface so it's hard to get a juicy wash.  On the other hand, it's easier to control the paint because it doesn't run as much.  I enjoyed working on this surface, but it wouldn't be good for some techniques.

I also chose to do a dahlia rather than the circles.  This makes for a nice change, but where I loaded my brush with excess water, or applied the pigment thickly, it looks like an error. It doesn't so much with the circles.  In some ways, the 'dahlia's make a nice check on how I'm coming with my brush work and paint to water ratio, but they also take away from seeing how the three colors work with each other.

I'll continue to do both type of experiment, but for different reasons.

What I learned from this painting, or rather confirmed.  It's a lot easier to get the violet and orange shades than it is to get the greens.  I am glazing (painting one pure color over another color ) and so mixing on the paper not the palette.  The greens might come eventually if I keep adding layers, but I think I'll start trying some mixes on the palette and see what happens.

The colors: Hansa Yellow Light, Quinacridone Rose, and Phthalo Blue (RedShade)

Comments

  1. Really appreciate your more detailed information here. Were the colors allowed to dry between the additions of color or were they wet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both! Susan, the colors were allowed to dry in between. I'm going to do a tutorial with photos of the steps so people can see the process, but it will take me a couple of days before I have the time, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I love to read about your process! Great work and great insight. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I learn more about my own experiments when I share them. There is something about trying to explain them that helps crystallize the experience!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment