Art Journal Swappers Round Robin Round 1 #ArtJournal #LifeImitatesDoodles #ArtJournaling

I joined an art journal swap and just finished my page for Round One.


I wish *Sakura gellyroll pens weren't so much fun to work with because they're hard to photograph.  I used a mix of their classic gellyroll, as well as their Stardust glitter, Metallic, and Moonlight.  The result is almost holographic as far as the color is concerned.  It looks different according to how you hold it in the light.

If anyone is interested in the process, I started with **Montana Markers, laying down background colors.  Most of this gets covered over, so I didn't worry about streak lines.  This layer prevents white gaps, and enriches the colors that come after.  


I drew and cut out a cow, a sheep and the fences from a piece of scrap-paper from the 7Dots Studio NatureWalk collection.  I used some of the remaining paper, where the fence had been cut out, to be the barn.  (If you don't draw, you could easily cut out magazine pictures and trace them).


After gluing the cut-outs down, I started writing words on the left with ***Faber-Castell Stampers Big Brush pen


After I did the words in this area, which I wanted to give the impression of a bushy wooded area, I switched to a white gel pen and continued adding words.  I wrote down a list of animals that you would find on a farm using the same kind of bubble writing but in a  smaller size.  Around the bull, I wrote the names of cattle species, and around the sheep I wrote the names of sheep species.

Then I started coloring in around the words, using 3 colors of green, a brown, an orange, a yellow, and a burgundy.  For the large words in back, I blended white gel pen with green by drawing a few lines and smearing the colors with my finger.  After 1/2 hour or so (to let the ink dry completely), I added highlights with white to get the bubble effect.  I added yellow glitter highlights to the 'yellow' words in that area, but most of the color comes from the layer of Montana Markers applied in the beginning.

The words outlined in white were surrounded by the mix of colors, but the words themselves were left the first layer color as well.  I didn't worry about keeping all the words readable.  The overall effect was more important.


*Sakura makes a line of gel ink pens called gellyrolls.  They come in Classic gel, Stardust glitter, Metallic, Shadow (color turns golden when it dries) and Moonlight, which can be used over black or dark colors.  They can be difficult--the ink flows slowly, and can skip and blob if you draw too fast.  The ink dries on the tip, even as you use it and will stop if you don't wipe it off frequently.  But the effects you can get make it worth while for most.



 **Montana Markers are essentially plastic tubes resembling marker pens, filled with acrylic paint. They dry quickly, and you don't have a brush or sponge to clean up or dirty water to throw away. They are a little spendy, but you can also buy them empty, and fill them up with cheaper acrylic paint to save some money.  They are refillable and you can also replace the tip, so the major expense for each color is one time.  They come in different size tips.  This is the 15mm shown here.   If you don't already have any paints or brushes, these might be cheaper in the long run, unless you are buying the very cheapest of paints and brushes.


***Faber-Castell Big Brush Stamper's Pen are fabric-tipped pens with a big bullet point tip.  They use India Ink, which is permanent once it dries.  In a smaller size, Faber-Castell also has their range of Artist Pens, which have a more flexible tip.  They both come in a large range of colors, and are often used for Manga, coloring stamps, and professional art work.

Comments