My tangle pattern: Osciallate



Here's a pattern that start's like Trifoil but gets fancier.  It took me a while to get the three circles even, but while I was looking at one of my first attempts a notion hit me.  I added some loops and flourishes, and suddenly my knot was a flower.  After playing around a while, I discovered the floral version actually looks better if the circles are not even. 

So this is a win-win Celtic knot.  If you get everything perfect, leave it be.  If there is uneveness, go natural and create a flower!

The general tips apply-look over all the steps before starting, and practice (best on graph paper) before you use it in a zen.  Note how the loops all come back to each other.

For this tangle in particular, give yourself space but stay small, lol.  Don't draw a square and try to make them fit.  But note that my initial curves are about 2-3 squares long.  Otherwise, your knot will get too big and the circles will be difficult to keep rounded.

Most of all, don't stress.  Let your tangle decide if it wants to be a knot or a flower. 

Comments

  1. Gabriel ProductionsJuly 28, 2010 at 7:29 AM

    A strange sensation for me this morning since I have been developing a three circle tangle for the past three or four days. Mine is absolutely nothing like yours (not a knot!) but I had an "oh my" moment. Mine is a flower from the get go and yes, trust me, it is just fine if it is all wobbly, lol!

    I love this one especially because you advise symmetry isn't required from the get go. With my luck, that will be the only time I actually do a symmetrical knot .

    P.S. I made little zendoodle kits for my nieces who are vacationing with me. I will have to post these somewhere because they are too cute. Forgot to pack a pencil for me, too busy filling their kits. Had to scavenge a golf pencil from Joe the other day and SHOCK AND AWE it blended to an amazing grey suede texture. I get chuffed when a make do tool turns out to be the cat's pajamas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabriel ProductionsJuly 29, 2010 at 11:02 AM

    Massive apologies for being so darn chatty (blame it on vacationing) but I have to tell you that this time, this pattern, is the first time I actually got it as in I followed your steps once but after that was able to draw this by rote because I actually "get" where I have to put stuff to get the knot. Yeah, took me ages but it finally paid off. I think I have finally grokked the "inside out" build up/out you have been so patiently trying to illustrate. My niece will confirm I yelled "Eureka" out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, but I value your chats! It helps me immensely in knowing whether I'm formatting my steps so that people understand them. Trying to decide the order in which to build the design is almost as knotty a puzzle as building the designs.

    "Eureka!" I'm so chuffed to hear you are 'seeing' the 'inside/out' instead of the whole maze.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gabriel ProductionsAugust 3, 2010 at 5:19 AM

    So I am back and I have to show you this one because it has this cool tangle and Dizessa which I coloured with my purloined golf pencil. I am crazy mad for that golf pencil! http://www.flickr.com/photos/77966181@N00/4847486464/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these celtic ones.. thank you.. it's gorgeous

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment