On being absent, tangles passing the 600 mark, and other bits of gossip

First off, I want to apologize for being absent so much lately.  There is nothing dire happening, but I'm going through a spell of swimming with piranhas--you know, where you get pulled in all directions by all the small things, and end up with nothing to show for it, lol.

I've also made a life change (at least that's the plan).  I'm quite frankly overweight, have arthritis, and my husband has been doing nothing to control his diabetes.  At work, we were offered a free Kinetix program with club membership.  It's very close to the zone diet, and I get a personal coach for 4 weeks, a gym bag, a scale (it breaks down the percentage of body fat, lean muscle mass and water) and a heart monitor wrist watch. I also got samples of the Kinetix cereal and bars. I thought I would be a fool to pass up the opportunity. It's a necessary change, and I already feel better, but I have to admit I'm bitter about using time exercising and making up menus and shopping instead of zentangling.  It shouldn't be as bad once I get a routine set up, and have a better idea of what I need for meals, but it's always going to steal time.

On a happier note, I was adding new tangles to my tangle database, and with the 13 I posted links to today, counting the 102 official tangles, all the tangles in the 4 zentangle books, and those posted on the internet, I count 614 tangles! Whoo hoo!

The count is approximate--at least 40 are some of mine that I haven't posted yet, and I'm certain I've missed a few here and there. 

Anyone else have a count? 

I'm trying to get the list into a format that I can post it as a permanent page and upgrade as I go.  No links, but I thought it would be a good resource for people who create tangles, so they can check what other names are already used, and sort of a quick search for people who'll know a tangle when they see the name, but can't remember who done it.

Another snippet of info I thought might interest you is a photo I found while researching kumihimo patterns.  I mentioned my surprise when I realized that K-Ning was a variation of Cadent.  Well, I'm discovering that Cadent is really one of the basic natural recurring patterns.  My attention was caught by the triangular weave on this basket:


http://kumihimo.blogspot.com/2008/08/braids-and-holidays.html

Scroll down to the second photo and look at the blue basket with the triangles. Imagine my surprise.  The pattern is Cadent with a diagonal slash.  Can you see it?  Cool, huh?

Comments

  1. I really admire you for seizing this opportunity that opened up for you and acting on it. I wish you every success,; you will feel so proud of yourself and rightly so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabriel ProductionsAugust 15, 2010 at 3:25 AM

    lifestyle change sounds mega scary and exciting twisted together. I do know the feeling of resentment when real life responsibilities suck up my noodle/doodle time.

    I have started a database with my patterns but only have 179 to date. That does not include the Suzanne McNeill books or Totally Tangled since all three are out circulating with family and friends (you have to order them from Amazon here in Canada and the postage is more than the books which puts them out of reach for a lot of people).

    No, I cannot see Cadent in the basket though I have no doubt it is in there. I don't think I "see" yet--note the hopeful yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your lifestyle changes for the good!
    Mere

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your new lifestyle. Know that we are rooting for you.

    And I LOVE the idea of having all the tangles, with names and origens, in one place! Frankly, I've been trying to collect them and am only up to 125 or so. It would be so nice to have them, accessable, and not have to search the web!!

    -byrd

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all. I'll let you know how the life-style change goes.

    I'll try and see if I can get some different formats of my list. Byrd, you may still need to do some searching because, especially with the official tangles, it is someone else who posts a tangle (one of the CZTs). And there won't be examples of the tangle. But you'll find a examples for many of them at Tangle Patterns.com, and if not there, you'll have a name and artist to search on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd never heard of kumihimo until now, so thanks for that Sandra. Another rabbit hole begging for exploration!

    Good luck with your lifestyle change. It's not easy to change a habit, but it is certainly very possible when you're motivated. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is probably the inspiration for those thread spools that you hammer nails into, then wrap yarn around the nails and pull it through the hole. You keep looping the yarn around in a circle to braid it. At least, that is what we did as kids. I've seen plastic versions for sale. It looks like Kumihimo gets far more complicated and produces much more elegant braids.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment