Quick Watercolor Studies

I didn't have much time for painting while I was at the Oregon Coast.  Unwisely, I had brought my good watercolor brushes with me, so I didn't want to let the children use them and could only paint while they were out.  That was okay though.  The gray whales were particularly active and we had a spectacular view, so instead of painting I was whale watching.

I did manage to get three quick pieces done.  These took about 15-20 minutes, if that, including the time for drying and techniques.

I used salt to get the foamy, misty look in this seascape study.



For this second one, I was showing my niece how to do some wet-in-wet techniques, deciding what I was doing after I'd let colors mingle on the page.


This last one was a lesson in how much difference the paper makes.  I used Arches 300 lb for the first two, and this last was done on Strathmore Aquarius II, a much softer, less rough surface than the Arches.  The color is less brilliant, and tends to blend more on the paper.  I got a far different look than I first intended.  One paper isn't necessarily better than the other--you just need to use different techniques.  My study would have been better if I'd taken a different approach.  As it was, it was good practice in knowing your paper.





Comments

  1. GORGEOUS WORK! Especially the water one. You really captured the essence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think you really learn a lot about brush control and how different papers react when you do these quick studies.

      Delete
  2. Where on the coast were you? I went to high school in Newport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We rented a house in Lincoln City. Usually, hubby and I drive into Newport for at least a day, but there were too many of us for much traveling this time around. Are you still in Oregon?

      Delete
  3. I'm in Washington now. I came to University of Puget Sound (in Tacoma), met my husband, and stayed. I miss the Oregon coast. It's so lovely. It always feels like home to me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment