Watercolor Wednesday with Schut-16 #Exaclair #Schut #Watercolor

Each Wednesday for 22 weeks, I'll be sharing artwork that was done on paper from a Schut Papier sampler.  I'll be giving you a little information about each of the papers.

Schut Aquarel Flamboyant, Extra Rough, 250 gm2/115 lbs

50% Cotton, acid-free.

When I saw the texture of this paper I feel in love, because I'm really into texture.  I discovered this was a case of tough love, because watercolor this rough is a challenge to work with.

My first painting was totally an exploration, and I ended up using Gellyroll and Micron pens to add some definition and restore color to areas I overworked.  I had a little better idea of what to do with the second painting, but I know I could do better yet.  Personally, I adore this kind of paper.  It is a challenge, learning how to use it, but the textural effects you can get once you do? Totally worth it!

However, I wouldn't recommend it for beginners or even intermediate painters unless they like a challenge or have experience with this type of paper.

The paper is thick, but very light for the thickness.

The outcome of my tests:


  • Paper folds well for its weight with some memory of the fold
  • When creased it does get multiple creases, but they don't radiate outward
  • Frisket and/or tape both cause some damage
  • Color doesn't lift easily; gets cottony if you try to add paint to lifted area
  • It's easy to overwork the paper
  • Paper is absorbant, washes don't move a lot
  • Paper tends to come off in chunks when you scrape it
  • Creates fantastic textural effects



Comments

  1. WOW, love the texture and it really makes your work stand out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment