Review Day Six- Clearprint Vellum Field Book #Clearprint #Vellum #ColoredPencil

Welcome to Day Six of my review of the Clearprint Vellum field book.  The bulk of the review can be found on Day One.  Each day the rest of this week, I'm reviewing a page done in the same book using a different medium.

Colored Pencil and Brush Pen on Clearprint Vellum
Colored Pencil is not my favorite medium.  Although I do like the misty effects you can get with it, I find it hard on my wrists, working to build up the layers.  Usually, it needs some tooth to the paper, to pull off the pigment, so I was really curious to see how it would do on the Clearprint Vellum.


Out of all the mediums I used on this vellum, I think I was most surprised by the results with colored pencil.  With many surfaces, colored pencil will build up a waxy effect and by the third or forth layer of color, the pigment just slides around and you can't do much more with the drawing.  I was on my eleventh layer of color before I started getting unexpected dark streaks of color.  I think even that was the effect of the surface underneath the page.

And speaking of the surface underneath the page.  You notice that sort of hatched effect, especially in the lower parts of the sky?  That is texture picked up from my non-stick mat.  Usually, I put my paper on top of foam-core or a pad of paper so I have something soft underneath.  For some reason, I didn't this time, and I like the texture I picked up.  This is something I want to explore later, with other mediums.  Just think what you might get with a stencil or other patterned objects.  Instead of using on top of the paper, you could use them underneath!

The scan of the back picked up more color than shows through to the eye.


I tried the backlit effect, holding the drawing up to the light, and everything almost totally washed out.  I wanted to try a brush pen on this paper, anyway, so I decided to try it out on the back (I'm not showing these drawings in the order that I drew/painted them).

The brush pen works very nicely on the vellum.  The color comes out darker than with either the Pigma Micron or Sketchplan, but you aren't able to get the same range of values (it's the same with most papers).  If you want a more stark contrast of black and white, brush pen is a better choice.  If you want a more subtle range of values technical or art pens are a better choice.  Neither is inherently better--it's a matter of preference and desired result.


But now let's go back to the front of the page and try the backlit effect.  The colored pencil almost disappears!  If you use colored pencil, you'll want to be extra careful about what is on the back, or better still, don't use the back.



Tomorrow I'll share my last example.  The alcohol marker piece that I did for the Cross-country project!

You can skip this part if you've already read it: Earlier this year, I participated in Clearprint's Cross-Country project.  It is a fantastic deal.  You let them know you want to join up, and they send you TWO of their Vellum field books.  In one, you do a work of art, using whatever medium you desire, and within a week you send that book back to them.  The second book is yours to keep! Forever!

Additionally, your artwork is uploaded to the Cross-Country gallery, and featured on the Clearprint Facebook page.  I've been told the project will continue as long as there are pages left in the Cross-Country book, so you still have time to sign up! 

Comments