The Third Eye #Watercolor #Yarka #Arches

Most of my artwork is done without any reference material or plan.  I just start and after a bit, something clicks, and then I usually start working toward a goal suggested by what I've already done--something in the colors or the lines or the shapes.

But I've never done that with watercolor.  Not sure why.  Probably because I feel I have the least understanding of how that medium works.  I decided to give it a go.  I'll do more of this--I think I'll learn the medium all the faster, but watercolor will present a challenge.  Usually, I can bring most of the elements together, at least marginally.  It's a little more difficult with this medium.

I like the middle portion, but not the border so much.  It was a lot harder to turn it into what I wanted.  But over all, I like the work, and now I have a little better idea of how I might do better next time.

Yarka St Petersburg pan sets-original and sequel on Arches Watercolor paper.  Most of the texture was created by layering two or three colors, and then using different sized brushes to lift color away.  While I did use watercolor techniques for some of this, the lifting was mostly done with smaller brushes almost as if I were 'drawing' the areas of lifted color.


Comments

  1. Wow sandra, this eye is amazing it almost scared me. . The paints look so nicely blended and soft. Love your work, you know that for sure.,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynne! It's the first time I tried something like this with watercolor. I wish I'd started differently for the border, but I'm quite pleased with the eye.

      Delete
  2. Wow sandra, this eye is amazing it almost scared me. . The paints look so nicely blended and soft. Love your work, you know that for sure.,,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandra, like you, watercolor is not my go to but you did a wonderful job. And, like Lynne, the eye scared me too!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment