Watercolor Koi on Yupo #Yarka #Yupo #Watercolor

In last Wednesday's class we painted Koi, with an emphasis on learning how to paint moving water.  The teacher, Kathy Delumpa Allegri, gave me some Yupo paper to try out.

Very challenging stuff!  Yupo is actually an industrial plastic and it's very smooth.  The watercolor never entirely soaks in, so at any time you can wet it thoroughly, and wipe off every bit of the paint using a paper towel.

It is also sensitive to the oils in your hand, so if you aren't careful, you get spots where the paint will bead up.  This happened to me, so I wiped off the paint twice, and re-drew my fish until I got it just right so that the area that beaded up looked like ripples in the water (the area around the head of the koi on the right).


I've got another piece of this paper.  Now to decide what I want to paint on it!

Comments

  1. Yeah! Happy to hear you are giving yupo a try. Mix ½ water and ½ acrylic paint, 3 or 4 colors and dump them on wet yupo and watch them play as you tip and tilt the paper (which is mounted on a flat surface with tape). It is great fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tip! I've done similar with alcohol inks on Tyvek. It does sound like fun!

      Delete

Post a Comment