Blue Jay - 52 Weeks of Watercolor Birds #Acrylic #WatercolorBirds

I decided I'd take the challenge to paint a watercolor bird each week.

Mitsib has created a FREE year-long event, 52 Weeks of Watercolour Birds. Each week she paints a species of bird, posting reference photos and a video of her process.  Members are challenged to paint the same species.

You know me, I immediately have to deviate.  For the first week the bird chosen was a European Jay.  But I already had a photo reference of a blue jay that I wanted to paint, and so I did.

The biggest change, though, is that my watercolor bird was done in acrylic, lol!  I decided to do my birds in a 7 x 11 inch Global watercolor book.  It only has 48 pages though, so I have to use the outside cover as well as the front and back inside to fit all 52 birds.  Going with acrylic for the outside cover just seemed practical.  The remaining 51 birds will be done with watercolor.


Comments