Journal52 Prompt #1 - Strange Word: Protuberance #Journal52 #Gellyroll #Pentalic

Those of you who have followed my blog for any length of time may have already figured out that I'm a bit of a left-handed monkey wrench when it comes to humor.  You never know what will tickle my fancy.

There were two choices for first Journal52 prompt for 2016 - 'One Little Word' or 'Strange Word'.  I love weird, obsolete or seldom used words so I immediately knew I'd go with Strange Word.

During the winter, as so many do, I tend to get a bit depressed from the lack of light, with insomnia and lethargy and lack of creativity.  I always work through it, but it took the joy out of art journaling in particular, in 2015, and I kept mostly to my watercolors.  So I thought for 2016, I'd choose to focus on the opposite of depression (even when I'm not).  I went looking for strange antonyms to the word depression.

I was thinking of the mental variety of depression -- not the physical version meaning a dent in something.  However, I saw the word 'Protuberance', meaning something that sticks out.  Protrudes.

Now I think it's a funny word.  When we think of things as a protuberance, we are usually thinking of them in a humorous light - elephant trunks, noses, other...ahem...body parts...ahem. So, I thought that would be a funny one little word for the year.  Not really meaning it.  And then I laughed.

Isn't funny- laughing - sort of the opposite of depression?  So if I get depressed, and art journal about a protuberance, I suspect I'll laugh every time.

So I decided that's my word for the year...PROTUBERANCE.  The opposite of depression.


Comments

  1. This is fantastic! You are a great source of inspiration for me and this is both funny and profound. I just love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's nice to know I'm not the only who gets the humor!

      Delete
  2. I love it!! I also get the SADS during winter and staying creative & laughing definitely helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you've found a way to deal with your SADS. It casts such a cloud over everything until you do.

      Delete

Post a Comment