Quail in Payne's Gray #WorldWatercolorGroup #52WeeksOfWatercolorBirds #Watercolor

Ah, the perils of growing old.  I started with the intent to make week 42 of '52 Weeks of Watercolor Birds' a monochromatic painting using only Payne's Gray, because this bird WAS Payne's Gray in living color!

So I blocked out the initial layer of Payne's Gray for the bird, and walked off to let it dry.  When I sat down and started the background, I layed down a layer of Sap Green, and THEN remembered what I initially meant to do.  *sigh*    Damage done, I incorporated the Sap Green and some Pyrrole Scarlet into the darker values of the bird.

I had done heavy scraping with the painting on the other side, leaving the paper pretty fragile, so I kept this simple, with no lifting and only a couple of glazes.  I'm happy with it, even though it wasn't quite what I started out to do.



Done using Sennelier Payne's Gray,  and Sap Green and Daniel Smith Pyrrole Scarlet and Iridescent Silver.

This bird was done in the Global Art Materials Field Watercolor Artist Journal Hand Book, 7 by 10-Inch that I'm using for the '52 Weeks of Watercolour Birds'.

My reference photo came from the Morguefile archive.

Comments