Yellow Warbler - Week 38 of 52 Weeks of Watercolor Birds #WorldWatercolorGroup #Watercolor #52WeeksOfWatercolorBirds

Yes.  I switched from using the Mijello Mission Gold Pure Pigment set, and went back to my own customized set of Winsor Newton and Sennelier Pan paints mixed with a few favorites from M. Graham, Qor, and Daniel Smith.

Don't get me wrong.  I really like the Mijello Mission Gold paints.  The intensity is great, the pigments rewet beautifully, and there is a consistency of handling across the pigments that is fantastic.  But they do flow differently than most other brands, and I've had problems with that flow on this particular paper.

The paper is the Fluid 140 lb cold-press that Global Arts Materials uses in their watercolor journals.  I find it to be a reasonably high-end student grade - a good bang for the lesser buck.  I don't expect to get the best results with it, but neither do I usually have as many problems as I have had with the Mijello.


I've used other brand pigments, both professional and student, on this paper and been pleased, and I've been using the Mission Gold on other papers and been pleased, so I think it is just a bad mix.


Done using Winsor Newton Lemon Yellow, Winsor Yellow, Sepia and Sennelier Indian Yellow, Cerulean Blue and M Graham Quinacridone Rust.

This bird was done in the Global Art Materials Field Watercolor Artist Journal Hand Book, 7 by 10-Inch that I'm using for the '52 Weeks of Watercolour Birds'.

My reference photo came from the Morguefile archive.

Comments