Big Sky Country and Sepia Skies #Watercolor #WorldWatercolorGroup #Strathmore

In yesterday's watercolor class, we concentrated on letting the color flow rather than obsessing about detail, and did this by painting low horizon skies.

For my first one, I used Qor Transparent Pyrrole Orange, Sennelier Indian Yellow and Winsor Newton Phthalo Turquoise on Strathmore Imperial Cold Press.  I spent about 1/2 hour on it, including the drying time between washes and this is approximately a 9 1/2 x 9 1/2 inch.  The only brush used was a Silver Black Velvet 1 inch flat.


For my second painting I only used Sennelier Sepia on Strathmore Imperial Hot Press this time.  I spent about  156 minutes on it, including the drying time between washes and this is approximately a 9 1/2 x 9 1/2 inch.  The only brush used was a Silver Black Velvet 1 inch flat.  I had intended to soften the hard edges, but found they did not want to soften once the color was down.  It's okay though, I think.  The edges just make the sky more dramatic.


Comments