Eats, Shoots & Leaves #Watercolor #WorldWatercolorGroup #RedPanda

I actually got this one painted before 2016 ended, but had too many other things to post.  It's a 20 minute quick study.

Still playing around with brushes from The Fabart interchangeable brush set.  This time I used the Rake, Round & Dagger heads.  The rake was nice for the texture of the panda's fur.  I think I like the effect I get using the fan brush better, but the rake is much easier to control.  The dagger is fantastic for creating the leaf shapes quickly.

(I did a review on this set here).

I used mixes of M Graham Ultramaring Blue and Burnt Sienna (I pre-mixed a bunch of these since the mixes are so good for those really dark values), Winsor Newton Sap Green, and Sennelier Indian Yellow on 6x6 inch Arches paper.

My title comes from the old joke that is commonly used to explain why commas are important.  Rather than eating shoots and leaves, the joke panda eats, shoots, and leaves.  The commas give the sentence an entirely different meaning.  Maybe it's the foxy look a red panda has, but I always think they'd be much more likely to pull such a joke. A giant panda just seems too jolly to frighten people that way.  Just saying, lol.

The Joke:
A panda walks into a restaurant, sits down and orders lunch. After finishing, he pulls out a gun and shoots it. People scream at him, asking why he shot a gun. The panda yells back "I'm a PANDA! It's what I do!" and leaves.

Someone googles 'Panda' and find this definition: "A tree-dwelling animal that eats shoots and leaves."


Comments