My tangle pattern: Dizessa

I've been reading Aidan Meehan's 'Celtic Design: A Beginner's Manual'.  He's, like, the Guru of Celtic design.  I'm realy slow getting through the book, because I keep stopping to play around with the ideas he's giving me.

It does present somewhat of a problem for me though.  Aidan is showing us how to use techniques that are ancient.  He uses the dot-graph method, which I'm too sloppy and impatient for.  I'm going to try and come up with techniques that are more zentangle friendly, but if I don't feel I've substantially changed the steps or just used his techniques to create my own pattern, then I won't be able to share them with you.  I highly recommend the book, if you want to learn a lot more about Celtic spirals, step and key patterns (but not braiding or knots), and Illuminated letters.  (Hah!  That got ya, didn't it?) 

As with yesterday's pattern, Grapple, I created this design by playing around with a pattern that could be repeated in the squares of a grid (step pattern).  This time, I rotated the pattern every other square. It's kind of cool.

Sorry no new art for this.  I think I've got carpal tunnel (dang it all!), so I took a day off from tangling yesterday. 

Comments

  1. This could take patience if you did too much of it. On the other hand, if you just go stroke by stroke, I think it could be relaxing.

    I got this book out of the library. I think I'll have to purchase it, or something like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabriel ProductionsJuly 28, 2010 at 7:21 AM

    A bit off topic (never stops me), I got a book of tattoo designs very very cheap on a bargain table at Chapters (guess there isn't a huge demand for it, hmmmmmm) and it has a ton of ideas in it. I am trying to figure out how to tangle them. Unlike your comment Sandra re copyright issues, I think almost all of these designs are ancient and have been decorating people's parts (cough) forever.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment