© All images and text remain the copyright of Sandra Kay Strait.

Feel free to print, share or use my tangle patterns. However, you may not alter or use any other images in this blog without express permission from myself.

Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, July 26, 2010

My tangle pattern: Dizessa

I've been reading Aidan Meehan's 'Celtic Design: A Beginner's Manual'.  He's, like, the Guru of Celtic design.  I'm realy slow getting through the book, because I keep stopping to play around with the ideas he's giving me.

It does present somewhat of a problem for me though.  Aidan is showing us how to use techniques that are ancient.  He uses the dot-graph method, which I'm too sloppy and impatient for.  I'm going to try and come up with techniques that are more zentangle friendly, but if I don't feel I've substantially changed the steps or just used his techniques to create my own pattern, then I won't be able to share them with you.  I highly recommend the book, if you want to learn a lot more about Celtic spirals, step and key patterns (but not braiding or knots), and Illuminated letters.  (Hah!  That got ya, didn't it?) 

As with yesterday's pattern, Grapple, I created this design by playing around with a pattern that could be repeated in the squares of a grid (step pattern).  This time, I rotated the pattern every other square. It's kind of cool.

Sorry no new art for this.  I think I've got carpal tunnel (dang it all!), so I took a day off from tangling yesterday. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, very cool, Sandra... I just love this! It does look like it requires a bit of patience (I'm short on that lately), but what beautiful patterns. Will have to check out the book! I do have a book on Celtic designs and knots... now you've got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This could take patience if you did too much of it. On the other hand, if you just go stroke by stroke, I think it could be relaxing.

    I got this book out of the library. I think I'll have to purchase it, or something like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gabriel ProductionsJuly 28, 2010 at 7:21 AM

    A bit off topic (never stops me), I got a book of tattoo designs very very cheap on a bargain table at Chapters (guess there isn't a huge demand for it, hmmmmmm) and it has a ton of ideas in it. I am trying to figure out how to tangle them. Unlike your comment Sandra re copyright issues, I think almost all of these designs are ancient and have been decorating people's parts (cough) forever.

    ReplyDelete