© All images and text remain the copyright of Sandra Kay Strait.

Feel free to print, share or use my tangle patterns. However, you may not alter or use any other images in this blog without express permission from myself.

Search This Blog


Friday, October 24, 2014

The Door to Watercolor #Watercolor

As with yesterday's watercolor painting, this is an exercise from a library book, that I did a few months ago.  I forgot to write down the title or author, but I think it was 'Watercolor for the Fun of It: Getting Started' by John Lovett.

The book had some definite printing errors--pages where the paragraphs started in the middle of a sentence, but the exercises themselves were good, and you could usually figure out what you needed to do.

This was done on a watercolor postcard.

Friday Links to Tangles, Tutorials and Giveaways #zentangle #Giveaways #ArtJournal

The evolution of C-RCHN
How to draw tanglepattern Dex
Tips for Tangling Quandary

Art Journaling Prompts & Inspiration
Art Journaling Prompt: Drawing from Photos

Mixed Mediums: Modifying Acrylic Paint With Mediums
Blending simple skin colours with Promarker Markers - tutorial
Brush Techniques for Great Color with oil painting

Manila folder journal tutorial and giveaway
Gourmet Pens Giveaway-Leatherback Writer 2 journal Cover
Make it Yours with Krylon® Grand Prize Giveaway

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Painting the House -- Somebody's House #Watercolor

This is exercise I did from a watercolor tutorial in a book I took out of the library a few months back.  I feel bad, because I can't remember what book it was or the author.  I think it might have been 'Watercolor for the Fun of It: Getting Started' by John Lovett, but I'm not sure.

It was a good tutorial though!

Thursday Links to Tangles, Tutorials and Giveaways #zentangle #Giveaways #ArtJournal

TanglePatterns: How to Draw Gnarly

Art Journaling Prompts & Inspiration

Painting From Memory
How to Make Fabric Paper (keep scrolling, down past buy now stuff, to get to tutorial)
5 Acrylic Paint Application Techniques   

Smoothfoam Holiday Giveaway
The Divide Pen & Notebook Holder GIVEAWAY
Jetpens Giveaway - Engineers & Designers Sketch Kit 

Get Spray Paint Off Of Your Skin Without Using Chemicals

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Watercolor Wednesday with Schut-08 #Exaclair #Schut #Zentangle

Each Wednesday for 22 weeks, I'll be sharing artwork that was done on paper from a Schut Papier sampler.  I'll be giving you a little information about each of the papers.

Schut Artist Drawing Paper, Light Grain, Extra White,180 gm2/83 lbs

PH Neutral, Acid-free, for pen, pencil, charcoal, crayon & pastel.

For this example I used a Pentel Color Brush in Black with a Fabrico™ Dual Tip Fabric Marker - Light Gray, for shading, on the first drawing and a Pigma Micron .01 & .005 tips for the second drawing.

The paper has a fairly smooth surface, but you can feel a slight tooth.

The outcome of my tests:

  • Both brush-tip & fabric-tip friendly--
    • no bleed-through 
    • no show-through
    • no  feathering
  • the paper texture--
    • gave crisp lines
    • ink dried quickly
    • ink flowed easily
    • didn't seem to fray fabric tips
Earlier, in this series I reviewed the 225 gm2/152 lb version of the Schut Artist Drawing Paper, using other mediums.

Wednesday Links to Tangles, Tutorials and Giveaways #zentangle #Giveaways #ArtJournal

joey's weekly tangle challenge #31

Art Journaling Prompts & Inspiration
Prompt #1182 Visual Prompt of the Week – Sunday Drive

How to Make Paper
Paint a Crystal Vase | Step-by-Step 
Mail Art Envelope Tutorial-video

Pinwheel Punchboard Giveaway (Facebook)
Graphic45 Come Away with Me prize pack

Serious Nibbage Part 7 - video

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Journal52 Prompt - Week 42: Magic #Journal52 #ArtJournal #Gellyroll

Well, I did what I always tell myself not to do.

It had been a while since I did a page of words in my Journal52 journal.  My brain didn't immediately pop up with ideas for the prompt 'Magic', and I wasn't feeling all that creative, so Words it was.

But, I hated the page I came up with.  I know--I try not to judge, but I just didn't like it.  I did like what I was doing on a page of Clearprint Vellum, though, so I decided to paste it over my first try and continue with it.  I scanned in the first page, though, and this morning, I wish I hadn't glued over it.

I still don't like it, but I don't hate it the way I did last night.

Ah well.  I like the backgrounds on both, so I wrote up the process for them after the photos. Once the backgrounds were done, it was just a process of using Sakura Gellyrolls pens to write the words and color around them (And I colored the horses on the vellum page).

Sakura Gellyroll pens-Stardust: Purple Star, Blue Star, Marine Star; Moonlight-Green, Pink, Fluorescent Orange; Classic-White
Distress Inkpads-Picked Raspberry, Mowed Lawn, Salty Ocean
Pentel Pigment Ink brush pen
Art Journal with Watercolor Paper (first page shown above)
Art Journal with Clearprint Vellum Paper (second page shown above)

1.  For the vellum page, I drew the horses with a Pentel Pigment Ink brush pen.

2. I dragged and dabbed the Picked Raspberry Distress Ink Pad at random across the page, leaving lots of the paper untouched.  For the second page above, with the horses, I stopped here.

3. I repeated this with the other colors of the ink pads, blending in some places, on the first example. (NOTE: this does muddy up your ink pads.  Scrubbing the pad on scrap paper will restore the color, but it will still be stained).  I did both pages of the journal, so I've got a background for the next prompt too.

4. I sucked up alcohol into a pipette dropper and squeezed out drops at random across the page.