Search This Blog


Saturday, August 14, 2010

On being absent, tangles passing the 600 mark, and other bits of gossip

First off, I want to apologize for being absent so much lately.  There is nothing dire happening, but I'm going through a spell of swimming with piranhas--you know, where you get pulled in all directions by all the small things, and end up with nothing to show for it, lol.

I've also made a life change (at least that's the plan).  I'm quite frankly overweight, have arthritis, and my husband has been doing nothing to control his diabetes.  At work, we were offered a free Kinetix program with club membership.  It's very close to the zone diet, and I get a personal coach for 4 weeks, a gym bag, a scale (it breaks down the percentage of body fat, lean muscle mass and water) and a heart monitor wrist watch. I also got samples of the Kinetix cereal and bars. I thought I would be a fool to pass up the opportunity. It's a necessary change, and I already feel better, but I have to admit I'm bitter about using time exercising and making up menus and shopping instead of zentangling.  It shouldn't be as bad once I get a routine set up, and have a better idea of what I need for meals, but it's always going to steal time.

On a happier note, I was adding new tangles to my tangle database, and with the 13 I posted links to today, counting the 102 official tangles, all the tangles in the 4 zentangle books, and those posted on the internet, I count 614 tangles! Whoo hoo!

The count is approximate--at least 40 are some of mine that I haven't posted yet, and I'm certain I've missed a few here and there. 

Anyone else have a count? 

I'm trying to get the list into a format that I can post it as a permanent page and upgrade as I go.  No links, but I thought it would be a good resource for people who create tangles, so they can check what other names are already used, and sort of a quick search for people who'll know a tangle when they see the name, but can't remember who done it.

Another snippet of info I thought might interest you is a photo I found while researching kumihimo patterns.  I mentioned my surprise when I realized that K-Ning was a variation of Cadent.  Well, I'm discovering that Cadent is really one of the basic natural recurring patterns.  My attention was caught by the triangular weave on this basket:

Scroll down to the second photo and look at the blue basket with the triangles. Imagine my surprise.  The pattern is Cadent with a diagonal slash.  Can you see it?  Cool, huh?