My tangle pattern: Qadroon

Gadroon: Embossed decoration or fluting on silverware.


I was playing around with one of the classic patterns (see cutout) and came up with this twist. ...and it twists 'round and 'round!

Just for grins, I also wanted to discuss the reason I use so many different layouts for my patterns.  There are pros and cons, and I know the constant change can be offputting for some people.  The pros for a 'style' start with precision.  It is also easier for me to draw the steps, and for people to follow them, because we 'learn' what is repeated often enough.  Some people just don't like chaos, and order is very important to them.

But there's more than one reason that I switch around.  Partly, I'm a 'grass is greener' sort of person, and I'm always convinced that there's a better way to layout a pattern, so it will be more beautiful, and easier to follow. That's my impulse reason.

Partly, I grab what is closest--if I've printed out a bunch of one layout, I'll use it when I happen to find a sheet. That's my lowbrow reason.

But lastly, more and more, I'm looking for ways to avoid artificial obstacles when I create.  While it's true that you 'learn' a style, making it easier to me to draw and you to follow, I think it also limits creativity.  I know that I find myself trying to 'fit' a pattern to a layout.  Gadroon's a good example.  I tried drawing the steps in one of my usual layouts, but couldn't really get the 'twisty' feel.  It needs length to really show that.  So I just grabbed one my squared notebooks, and drew the steps.  That's my highbrow reason.

And to get really philosophical... I've been following an exercise program, and my coach keeps telling us that if there is a choice between easier and harder, harder is always the way to go for more growth of muscle mass.  I think possibly it is the same way with creativity.  As long as it isn't so difficult that you are overwhelmed, making you work harder might build up your creative muscles. 

Okay.  'Nuff with the psychobabble.  Go try out the tangle and have fun!

Comments

  1. I appreciate your introduction to your pattern. I always like hearing how other people are thinking. But as far as I am concerned, you could post them on napkins, billboards or drawn in crayon on discarded pantyhose cardboard liners: I care not as long as you keep on posting! Whatever it is that possesses you to share your creations and talent and inspiration, I bless it and cheer it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this one has possibilities!

    Thank you for all the work you are sharing with us. i muchly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a nice pattern. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all. For some reason, this one makes me think of moonlight coming through sheer curtains. Odd how our brains make associations, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment