How to find Inspiration for bleedthrumanade

Maddy*Moo asked how I managed to keep from repeating myself when I did the front and back of my bleedthrumanades (she calls them 'manades'. I like that). I tried responding directly to the comment, but, of course, blogger wouldn't let me. I'm sure she isn't the only one who is wondering, so I decided to respond in a post.

First, Maddy--definitely post some of your manade efforts. If you'd like, I'll take one or two and tell you what I might have done differently. Not a critique, just an explanation of other possibilities.

It might help to do the front and then come back after a while, and do the back page. Often, though, we get in a rut, and respond to color or string in the same way each time we see them.

I have a few different ways that I approach my manades that might be helpful to you. I try to use one approach for the front, and then use one of the others for the back.

One-Simply draw around each section of color. If you used Pink, Yellow & Blue, draw around each. If you overlapped the colors (by very much--don't try to break out slivers of color, lol), then give each color change a section.

Two-Include two colors in each section of your string. Using the same colors as above--instead of drawing around each color area, draw a string that has a section or two of pink&yellow, of pink&blue, of blue&yellow

Three-Ignore the color breaks, and look for shapes. Don't overthink this or get involved looking for zebras or piranha fish, lol! If one jumps out at you go for it. You might see broken planks, soggy cardboard boxes, punctured balloons. But mostly look for amoebas. Abstract shapes that seem to stand out but aren't anything in particular. If you see one, draw around it. I usually stare at my page for about a minute. If nothing waves at me, then I go with a different method.

Four-When I've colored circles or specific shapes, on one side, I'll make each a section and turn them into bubbles or put a tangle in each. On the other side, I'll make them part of a larger section and just tangle over them. They kind of disappear under the tangles but you get an interesting graduation of color. This can really change the look of the two sides.

Five-When I've used a striped or checkerboard coloration, I'll use the squares or stripes as my sections. On the other side, I'll ignore the stripes or squares and just draw a random string, or I might go with method two, and change the stripes and squares to a different size and configuration by having two colors in each one.

I hope this gives you some ideas. I may do up a tutorial showing some of this with pictures, but it will take me a little while to do that. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions. But please ask at my Wordpress blog http://lifeimitatesdoodles.wordpress.com/ so I know I'll be able to answer.

Comments

  1. Thankyou for posting this Molossus! I actually packed my promarkers and took them to work this morning, creating a bleedthru around 10.30 and then tangling from 11.45 before seeing this response. It wouldn't let me comment earlier :( like you suggested I am about to post a couple of my original attempts and then I will post todays :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment