© All images and text remain the copyright of Sandra Kay Strait.

Feel free to print, share or use my tangle patterns. However, you may not alter or use any other images in this blog without express permission from myself.

Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Monday's Mis?Adventures in Watercolor

Spent most of my artistic day gessoing some stuff and practicing with my Koi watercolors.  

I did this exercise from 'Mastering the Watercolor Wash' by Joe Garcia.  This exercise was in creating a flat wash.  I didn't quite succeed, but I'm happy enough.  One thing I did discover. I found some 300 lb Fabriano Artistico Warm Press that I forgot I had.  This is NOT cheap paper, but oh my.... People--it isn't just the quality of your paint.  Paper matters!

I didn't have the colors suggested in the book, so I just used the colors closest in value in my Koi Field kit.  This is a good exercise.  I'll be doing it again.


After doing this exercise, I was again impressed with the fact that I need to get a feel for the concentration--the amount of water to the amount of paint--in my mixes.  I decided to play with that.  No exercises from anywhere, I just did a zentangle.  Each section was a different color, and I tried to get at least three values just by adding more water.  I had a lot of fun with this one.


Lastly, at about midnight, half asleep, lol, I decided to satisfy my curiousity about how well I could mix up flesh tones using the Koi colors in my kit.  Did a 15 minute sketch--poor girl.  She has different size eyes!  But it looks like I'll be able to do portraits with this kit if I wish.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you published your first attempts I love the first one it looks like it was fun to make and thanks for sharing the things you learned it gives me heart to try something new myself
    Johnina :^A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Johnina!

    I'm so glad that this helps inspire you. It helps me as well. The people I share with bring me new perspective, and show me things that I am overlooking.

    ReplyDelete