I decided to branch out with my Aqua Markers and try something of my own using what I learned from the Linda Kemp exercise. I don't think I managed to quite stay true, but I got what I was going for. I used Pumpkin shapes--not just the whole pumpkin but the sections of pumpkin, painting the grooves in between to block out the shapes, rather than just painting the shapes.
My fern painting was done on a Fluid Watercolor block and this one was done on a Strathmore Watercolor pad. It was easier to get the wash effect going on the Fluid paper, but it also tended to pill a bit if I scrubbed much at all. With the Strathmore, I had to scrub to get the wash, but didn't have to worry about overdoing as much. The point being that it isn't just the paint medium that counts. You'll have a different experience with different paper.
Either way, I'm happy with the result. Although--it turns out that Pumpkin shapes are similar to banana bunches. This painting could be either one, lol!