Creative Destruction Day One - I turn destruction into creation

If I don't like a piece I've done, I generally give it a few weeks before I decide whether it needs to be 'saved'.

When it does, I destroy it so it can be the be the seed for another creation.  And often these repurposed works are among the best I do.  When you cover a piece with paint or pen or other medium, allowing just bits and pieces to show through, there is a richness that can't be produced any other way.  

I have quite a few destructions in the Stillman & Birn Zeta sketchbook I've been working in.  It isn't that the paper is hard to work with.  Rather it's because I love the paper so much!  Whenever I have new paints or pens or markers or want to try some new technique, I like to use them in my Zeta because I know it will show the medium at its best.  While some of my 'saves' are pages where a technique hasn't worked as well as I'd like, often I was just splashing color or doing quick charts to see how colors blended.  I felt free to do this because I knew these would make fantastic backgrounds later.

I've completed the book.  Most of the works I've already shared with you, but I thought I'd save  the pages I destroyed and re-created for last.


I was playing around with acrylic skins, and deli-wrap paper, and just couldn't find a balance.  I added stamped images and film transfers and still no balance.  Finally I used acrylic paint (Montana Markers) and covered everything, skimming the tops of the deli-wrapped areas, keeping the color semi-transparent.  Much better.

Acrylic skins are made when you pour any liquid acrylic medium--acrylic paint, polymer medium, self-leveling gel, etc--onto a non-stick surface like a plastic bag or a non-stick craft mat and let it dry completely. Then you peel it off and glue it onto whatever you like. Film transfer are a clear acetate designed to be printed on and then wetted to transfer the image onto something else.

Montana Markers (http://www.amazon.com/Montan.../dp/B006VV5OUI/ref=sr_1_11...) are a plastic tube filled with acrylic paint. They have different sized tips, I like the standard 15mm--it makes covering large areas a snap. You can also just get the tube empty and then fill it with your own paint.

You can buy 'dry waxed' deli-papers-the ones used to line baskets and sandwiches for delis. They're good for placing between sticky pages in your journal, and you can also use them to add paint, and then glue pieces of them into your journal. Here, I twisted up painted pieces of the del-wrap and glued them down. Then I took the Montana Marker and ran it along the top of the twists so they'd stand out.

Montana Markers (http://www.amazon.com/Montan.../dp/B006VV5OUI/ref=sr_1_11...) are a plastic tube filled with acrylic paint. They have different sized tips, I like the standard 15mm--it makes covering large areas a snap. You can also just get the tube empty and then fill it with your own paint.

Paints have varying degrees of transparency. You can usually make them more transparent by adding water or glazing medium. I wanted some but not all of the underlying colors to show through, so I added more water than usual.


Comments

  1. we need a video for what you did here please ~~~~.acrylic skins??? film transfers ???Montana Markers ???skimming the tops of the deli-wrapped areas??? keeping the color semi-transparent???

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment