Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Playing with Shape Tape and Watercolor Techniques #Strathmore #FrogTape #Watercolor

I've been taking a class in watercolor from Kathy Delumpa Allegri, where we are learning techniques ala Jeanette Carbonetti, who wrote the 'Tao of Watercolor'.  It's a very loose style, where you apply the paint and then follow where it leads.

In a seeming change of subject, Frog Tape just came out with a brand of tape, 'Shape Tape'.  I was intrigued with the idea of using it for art journaling and crafting.  In a sudden moment of whimsy, I had the idea of using it to create a framed shape around a watercolor painting.


I had a rough idea of an urban scene--wondering if something could be done using the 'Tao' style with buildings.  I worked up some very runny colors--Gamboge, Quinacridone Rust and Phthalocyanine Green and let it drip, charging in some colors down the page.  Then I picked out shapes to be windows and doors and highlights and, of course, the fella with the umbrella.

I like it, even though the perspective is totally distorted.  I think the Shape Tape framing lets me get away with it--you sort of expect distorted.  The tape wasn't totally sucessful--it did let some paint seep in, but again, funky.  You can get away with things when you get funky.

Possibly, I'll try this again, now that I have an idea where I want to go.  Even though the idea is to have very loose control and let the paint do what paint will do, you can guide things a bit, and I think I could take what I like from this and make it better.


Fountain Pen Fantasy Landscape #FantasyLandscape #FountainPen #PenAndInk

Playing around with possible ideas for upcoming fantasy landscape step-outs.  I figured out a super, easy way to draw people!