Playing with Shape Tape and Watercolor Techniques #Strathmore #FrogTape #Watercolor

I've been taking a class in watercolor from Kathy Delumpa Allegri, where we are learning techniques ala Jeanette Carbonetti, who wrote the 'Tao of Watercolor'.  It's a very loose style, where you apply the paint and then follow where it leads.

In a seeming change of subject, Frog Tape just came out with a brand of tape, 'Shape Tape'.  I was intrigued with the idea of using it for art journaling and crafting.  In a sudden moment of whimsy, I had the idea of using it to create a framed shape around a watercolor painting.


I had a rough idea of an urban scene--wondering if something could be done using the 'Tao' style with buildings.  I worked up some very runny colors--Gamboge, Quinacridone Rust and Phthalocyanine Green and let it drip, charging in some colors down the page.  Then I picked out shapes to be windows and doors and highlights and, of course, the fella with the umbrella.

I like it, even though the perspective is totally distorted.  I think the Shape Tape framing lets me get away with it--you sort of expect distorted.  The tape wasn't totally sucessful--it did let some paint seep in, but again, funky.  You can get away with things when you get funky.

Possibly, I'll try this again, now that I have an idea where I want to go.  Even though the idea is to have very loose control and let the paint do what paint will do, you can guide things a bit, and I think I could take what I like from this and make it better.


Comments

  1. I love what you did here, Sandra; absolutely stretching the possibilities. We could play with this idea on the Shizen paper, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll bring in the shape tape, so people can try some if they wish. I think it make you think differently about what you are doing--sort of gives you the OK to be funky.

      Delete
  2. I suppose the Shape Tape lets the watercolor bleed because it is really designed for house paint. It does make for an interesting line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is quite possible. I notice the bleeds happened where I was overlapping tape, so it's also possible I didn't get it sealed properly, though I did run the edge of a ruler along the overlap just to avoid that.

      Delete

Post a Comment