Watercolor Wednesday with Schut-03 #Exaclair #Schut #Watercolor

Each Wednesday for 22 weeks, I'll be sharing artwork that was done on paper from a Schut Papier sampler.  I'll be giving you a little information about each of the papers.

Schut Aquarelbloc Terschelling RUW 300 grams/140 lbs Watercolor Rough

Acid free, white watercolour paper, made of 100% wood free cellulose.

Two things you always need to look at with watercolor:
The Weight-Even if you've used a particular brand of paper before, you might find that the textures and tooth differ with the weight.
The Finish-You'll see the words Cold Press (CP or NOT or Medium Finish), Hot Press (HP or Demi-Satine) and Rough (R) on most watercolor papers.  You might also see Soft Press (SP) or other similar designations.  This refers to the 'wove finish' or texture created by the machines and tools used to make the paper.  There are no standards so a Cold-Press paper from one brand might be more like a Rough in another.


I bring up these points because the weight and finish of this paper differed considerably from the other Terschelling papers that I'll be posting about as part of my Watercolor Wednesday with Schut series.

This is a paper for someone with watercolor experience, and even then it will be challenging.  It is a soft paper, very absorbent and not very forgiving.  It is difficult to lift color, and it will tear if you are not very careful when removing masking tape or liquid frisket.

So why, you may ask, is this a good paper?  You can get expression and mood on this paper, dramatic glazes and textures.  If you know the paper will tear, then you can use that for texture as I did with my white flowers on the second painting.  The quality of the color is just different than with most papers. It's hard to explain.

If you are willing to take on a challenging paper and learn how it needs to be used, you find the results satisfying.  Just be prepared for a little frustration on the way there.  Out of all the papers in the sampler, I think I did my best works on this one.



Edited to add that both of these paintings were adapted from exercises in the book "Texture Techniques for Winning Watercolors' by Ray "Hendershot.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. I was away from home last week, and unable to leave blog comments, but I thank you. Better late than never!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I was away from home last week, and unable to leave blog comments, but I thank you. Better late than never!

      Delete
  3. I am away from my home studio, but it did bring my watercolors with me. this is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was away from home as well, and unable to leave blog comments, but I thank you. Better late than never!

      Delete
  4. These are both very beautiful! You definitely captured mood in both pieces... Your art is a constant inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment