Watercolor Wednesday with Schut-14 #Exaclair #Schut #Watercolor

Each Wednesday for 22 weeks, I'll be sharing artwork that was done on paper from a Schut Papier sampler.  I'll be giving you a little information about each of the papers.

Schut Aquarel Elegance, Medium Fine Grain/Cold-Pressed, 300 gm2/140 lbs

100% Cellulose, acid-free.

During these tests, I'm often overdoing to see what happens.  In this case, with my second painting, I overdid the lifting of color, repainting and relifting in fairly rapid succession.  While the color lifted easily, I quickly came to the point where the painting was overworked.  I wasn't surprised--lifting this way does damage the paper.  I felt the results were about what I'd expect from a paper of this weight and texture.  No surprises.

But I did want to save the work, so I used gel ink pens over the dried watercolor paint, squirkling and smearing it in places.  I used Moonlight Gellyrolls, which are made for working over dark colors, but they don't scan or photo well, so my finished piece looks better in real life, than it does here.

The outcome of my tests:
  • Paper folds well for its weight with some memory of the fold
  • When creased it does get multiple creases, but they don't radiate outward
  • Frisket and/or tape can cause slight damage
  • Color lifts well
  • Washes move well
  • Paper tends to come off in chunks when you scrape it


 'Bearded Irises' was adapted from an online exercise posted at the Painted Prism.

The Gel Ink colors are darker and more blended in real life than they appear in this scan.


Comments