Watercolor Wednesday with Schut-15 #Exaclair #Schut #Watercolor #Zentangle

Each Wednesday for 22 weeks, I'll be sharing artwork that was done on paper from a Schut Papier sampler.  I'll be giving you a little information about each of the papers.

Schut Simli Japon Printmaking Paper, 225 gram/105 lbs

100% Cellulose, Engine+Surface sizing, light tinted color, pH Neutral, Acid-free, alkaline buffered
Excellent for lithographic, calligraphy and relief printing.

This paper reminds me very much of the Clairefontaine Japon Paper that I reviewed  back in February of this year.  That doesn't surprise me, as both are 'Japon' papers.  Japon paper is sometimes called 'Japanese Vellum', but my understanding is that is a paper developed as an alternative to Japanese Vellum.  As a vellum type paper, you would expect it to be very smooth, almost slick and sturdy.  This Simli Japon printmaking paper is both.

I did a watercolor painting with pen outlines on one half, and used Sakura Gellyroll pens on the other. The smooth surface of the paper just seemed made for gel ink pens!

I don't think I represented this paper very well.  I was cranking out these tests and I must have been tired at this point, because my watercolor is rather lackluster.  I was using up paint.  It's a shame, because the paper does nicely with water and I could have done much better.

Similarly, the Gel ink page is not a good representation because gel ink doesn't scan or photograph well.  In real life, the drawing is much more striking.  I managed to get the brilliance of the colors, but the values are not true.

But I learned from my tests, anyway.
 
The outcome of my tests:
  • The Paper:
    • smooth, satin surface
    • folds and creases cleanly with no raditating lines
    • lightly tinted color--what I would consider 'natural'
  • Watercolor:
    • washes move well
    • color lifts well
    • hard lines form easily
    • no buckling
    • no curling
    • very slight dimpling along edges only
  • Gel Ink Pen--
    • brilliant color 
    • fairly long drying time-easily smudged, but also easily blended
    • because ink sets on surface, you get some embossed edges with certain colors
 I wanted to note that with thick gel inks, such as you get with Sakura Gellyrolls, the ink comes out almost as a bead rather than a line.  It actually has thickness.  This is one of the reasons that the pens often clog up.

Depending on paper, humidity and temperature, you can sometimes get a line thick enough that it appears embossed.  This can be a blessing or a curse, depending on whether you wanted embossed lines.  I wasn't expecting, and it only happened with some of the pens (the Metallic colors being most noticeable).  It didn't happen with the Moonlight Gellyrolls.  If I get more of this paper, I will definitely be playing around with the effect.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the effect to show in either scan or photograph.




Comments