Review Day Seven - Clearprint Vellum Field Book #Clearprint #Vellum #Zentangle

Welcome to Day Seven of my review of the Clearprint Vellum field book.  The bulk of the review can be found on Day One.  Each day the rest of this week, I'm reviewing a page done in the same book using a different medium.

Alcohol Marker on Clearprint Vellum
Alcohol markers bleed color through the page.  They are notorious for this, and one must use either specially coated or very thick paper to avoid it. Long ago, I decided to embrace that bleed through, and for many of my Zentangle®-Inspired artwork I do what I call a Bleedthrumanade.  I color the front of a page with alcohol markers and do my drawing, then I turn the page over, and do another drawing using the same color base on the back.

I was extremely curious to see how alcohol markers (Copics, Sharpies, Spectrum Noir, etc.) would do on Clearprint Vellum, so when I received my Cross-Country project book that is the medium I chose to use.

The colors were close to brilliant on the front.  On the back they came through at about 75%, much paler but still clear and bright.

There was no feathering.

Pigma Microns were used on both sides for my line work, and as I've discussed earlier this week, I had to work to get my darkest values, but was able to get a wide range of values.  

White gel pen was perfect for adding highlights, and gel pens are a medium I definitely want to try on this surface!

I didn't share the backlit effect--with so much line work on both sides, it wasn't pretty.  However, I think the alcohol markers alone would create a beautiful stained glass effect--perhaps the best medium for it, due to the brightness of colors.  Planned line work on one side would be perfect.


Overall
I hoped you've enjoyed my week of reviews on Clearprint's Vellum Fieldbooks.  I feel I've barely scratched the surface of possibilities with this paper!  You can use virtually any medium on it.  Some mediums may act a little differently than you are used to.

While it works as well or better than most papers, you can also take advantage of the paper's translucence by using both sides and backlighting to get a stained glass effect.  With some mediums, you won't want to use the back of the page, unless you intend to do this.

The fieldbook is light enough to make a good carry book.  Pages tear out easily, but the book can be left whole as well.

All told, I found it to be a fantastic paper and I look forward to exploring just how much more I can do with it.

And you have the chance to get a free fieldbook!: Earlier this year, I participated in Clearprint's Cross-Country project.  It is a fantastic deal.  You let them know you want to join up, and they send you TWO of their Vellum field books.  In one, you do a work of art, using whatever medium you desire, and within a week you send that book back to them.  The second book is yours to keep! Forever!

Additionally, your artwork is uploaded to the Cross-Country gallery, and featured on the Clearprint Facebook page.  I've been told the project will continue as long as there are pages left in the Cross-Country books already started, so you still have time to sign up! 

Comments

  1. I'm going to give this a go.Thanks for this tutorial.Been using Cubine tutorial.Love the way you have adapted it.Thanks muchly
    Judy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment