Watercolor Wednesday with Schut-20 #Exaclair #Schut #Zentangle

Each Wednesday for 22 weeks, I'll be sharing artwork that was done on paper from a Schut Papier sampler.  I'll be giving you a little information about each of the papers.

Schut Artist Drawing Paper, 160 g/m2:82 lbs

Good erasability; light grain; extra white; acid-free; pH-neutral; for pen, pencil, charcoal, crayon, and pastel.

I continue to be impressed with this paper's ability to hold up to watercolor.  I did a lot of blotting, color lifting and scrubbing with a lot of re-applied heavy washes--really punished the paper, so you can see areas of pilling and rippling.  Given the deliberate overworking, I'd have expected most drawing papers to tear or refuse to take new color.  I've had watercolor paper that performed worse.

I messed up a bit with my drawing.  I dutifully took notes on the back, but forgot to write down which pen I was using!  I'm pretty sure it was a Pilot Fude-Makase Color Brush Pen in Sepia, but I can't be sure.

The outcome of my tests:
  • With watercolor--
    • colors bright
    • washes moved well
    • color lifted some, but paper became overworked easily
    • flecks of darker color remained in lifted areas
    • paper dimpled along the edges
    • no buckling
    • no curling
    • doesn't blossom easily
    • does form hard lines easily
  • With hard-tip brush pen, water-based dye
    • drying times above standard
    • no feathering
    • minimal show-through
    • no bleed-through


Comments