Most of my artwork is done without any reference material or plan. I just start and after a bit, something clicks, and then I usually start working toward a goal suggested by what I've already done--something in the colors or the lines or the shapes.
But I've never done that with watercolor. Not sure why. Probably because I feel I have the least understanding of how that medium works. I decided to give it a go. I'll do more of this--I think I'll learn the medium all the faster, but watercolor will present a challenge. Usually, I can bring most of the elements together, at least marginally. It's a little more difficult with this medium.
I like the middle portion, but not the border so much. It was a lot harder to turn it into what I wanted. But over all, I like the work, and now I have a little better idea of how I might do better next time.
Yarka St Petersburg pan sets-original and sequel on Arches Watercolor paper. Most of the texture was created by layering two or three colors, and then using different sized brushes to lift color away. While I did use watercolor techniques for some of this, the lifting was mostly done with smaller brushes almost as if I were 'drawing' the areas of lifted color.