Fairview Lake Sunset #Yarka #TwinRocker #Watercolor

Yesterday, I wrote about arguing with the paint.  How I let myself get frustrated (having started out cranky) and fought with the paint instead of letting my tools do their thing.

When I realized what I was doing, I switched gears and started a painting that was much simpler with totally different colors.  Sunsets are pretty easy, dramatic and it's easy to concentrate on shapes rather than details.

I still started off on the wrong foot, grabbing a warm red (vermillion) when I meant to go for a cool (Quinacridone Rose).  That really told me I was off my game.  My colors got a little muddy (that happens when you mix warm and cool colors).

Still, it's loose and impressionistic and half-way recognizable as being from the reference photo. I used a lot of water, and the scan didn't pick up the color well in some areas. The painting looks better in real life than it does here.



Reference Photo



Comments

  1. Off your game or not, I think it's a beautiful painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think sunsets are a gift to those who paint. They're so gorgeous that it is hard to go wrong with them.

      Delete
  2. The painting is beautiful......great colors and lots of flow. It makes me want to continue to look at it.........draws me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sunsets are always fun to do. They're all shape and color, so they do all the work themselves!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! That's be best thing about sunsets. The intense colors almost guarantee success.

      Delete

Post a Comment