Friday, May 22, 2015

Fairview Lake Sunset #Yarka #TwinRocker #Watercolor

Yesterday, I wrote about arguing with the paint.  How I let myself get frustrated (having started out cranky) and fought with the paint instead of letting my tools do their thing.

When I realized what I was doing, I switched gears and started a painting that was much simpler with totally different colors.  Sunsets are pretty easy, dramatic and it's easy to concentrate on shapes rather than details.

I still started off on the wrong foot, grabbing a warm red (vermillion) when I meant to go for a cool (Quinacridone Rose).  That really told me I was off my game.  My colors got a little muddy (that happens when you mix warm and cool colors).

Still, it's loose and impressionistic and half-way recognizable as being from the reference photo. I used a lot of water, and the scan didn't pick up the color well in some areas. The painting looks better in real life than it does here.



Reference Photo