In the photo I took, I liked the difference between the shaded area and the sunlit area behind. I did two paintings. Still didn't quite get what I was looking for, but I'm not unhappy with the results.
My first attempt was pretty straight-forward. I was playing with complementary colors of yellow/violet, and orange/blue but wasn't really happy with my choices.
In this attempt, I was playing with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (yes, the one you use to clean the kitchen!), using it to lift paint. I wanted to really hone in on the haze that was created by the heat, and in essence removed a good portion of the paint I'd put down.
The Magic Eraser does a decent job of lifting paint (once it's dry), but I find it hard to control how much paint I'm removing and getting the shape I wanted in the removed area. I hadn't intended to remove so much.