This week's bird for the '52 Weeks of Watercolour Birds' was the magpie.
Confession time. I screwed up. First I made the bad choice to use up paint on my palette. It was from the Qor Landscape set - Transparent Brown Oxide, Venetian Red, Indigo, Naples Yellow, Raw Umber and Sap Green.
It's such a muted set of colors. I used it for the Goldfinch, but added Hansa Yellow Medium to brighten it up. This time though I put too much paint down, and felt adding the yellow would just muddy things.
I also tried making these birds into white-throated magpies where the white is in quite different areas. But compositionally this just wasn't working. I'd already painted the white areas for a common magpie, so I ... *cue horror music* ... used white acrylic paint to cover the Indigo.
I'm not totally unhappy with the results, but I'll definitely think twice about using this particular palette again.
I found my reference photo at the Morguefile archive.