Blackbird-Week 12 of #52WeekOfWatercolorBirds #Watercolor #ValueStudy

The bird chosen for Week 12 of the  '52 Weeks of Watercolour Birds'  was the blackbird.

I'm in the middle of a big project, so I decided to make this a fast one and did a value study
using the black, gray and white pigments that came in the  Prima Confections 'Classics' pan set.  Just to add a pop of color, I used the yellow and darker blue on the bird only.  I kind of did this in bits and pieces, but overall it probably took about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes.

I have to say that I am more and more enthralled with the atmospheric feel you get with a monochromatic palette.  Not just black, gray, and white.  I got the same feeling when using brown, black and white.  It's the simplicity, I think.  Color is wonderful, but with a monochromatic (or mostly monochromatic) painting the shapes take on more importance, even the abstract ones in the background.  And I know my color work is going to improve for doing these, as well.


This bird was done in the Global Art Materials Field Watercolor Artist Journal Hand Book, 7 by 10-Inch that I'm using for this challenge.

I found my reference photo at the Morguefile archive.

Comments