I enjoyed painting my Nuthatch value study using the black, gray and white pigments that came in the Prima Confections 'Classics' pan set that I reviewed last week. I decided to do more of the same.
I switched to some watercolor paper that I've had for a while. It's Saunders Waterford. I've heard fantastic things about it. It's 100% cotton, both externally and internally sized (that means gelatin or another product is applied during the making and/or after to strengthen the paper).
However, I fin the paper difficult to work on. Often with sized paper, the pigment stays on top of the paper and thus is brighter when it finally dries. In this case, the paint soaks in quickly. That would be nice if there was a need for quick drying time. Whatever -- knowing how to use the tool is always the answer, so I decided I'd use the Waterford for my value studies.
A surprising amount of drama is created by only using the these three pigments. I shouldn't be surprised, Zentangle artist that I am, but I was. I'm quite enjoying this experiment.
I found my reference photo at the Morguefile archive.