Whoa! This week's painting was more of a challenge than I expected. My reference photo didn't have a strong mid-ground. I didn't think this would be a problem, but I didn't have a clear idea for what I wanted and just started painting. Sometimes, ideas come as I paint, but it didn't this time.
And I decided to use pre-mixed greens: Sennelier Phthalo Green Light, and Sap Green. After starting the painting, I realized that I didn't really like these greens.
The addition of Green Gold and my Ultramarine Blue & Burnt Sienna mixes helped a bit, but I that mid-ground never resolved itself. I fussed and fussed and never quite got the effect I wanted.
In the end, I did a lot of lifting color and went with a more abstract look. I think I captured a good sense of drama in the brush strokes. I learned a lot about greens and lifting color on Stillman & Birn Beta series paper.
I didn't quite achieve all my goals so I think the most important lesson from this painting is to have goals, and a plan for meeting those goals before you start painting. If another solution occurs as you paint, the plan can always be changed.
My reference photo came from Pixabay.