Koi Distressed #DistressMarkers #StillmanandBirn, #Koi

I enjoyed the effects I got using Distress Ink Pads and Markers, so I decided to try it again with a more realistic subject.

To start, I dragged the ink pads directly across the page, using Spiced Marmalade, Wild Honey, Broken China, and Shabby Shutters.  I used the same colored markers to deepen that color in some areas, and started to build color around the shapes of the fish.

I just kept adding more color around the fish until I felt they were completely formed, and then started adding eyes, spots and white areas to their shapes.

I like the non-objective patterned work better.  It was a bit difficult to control the values without going to a pen or different kind of marker.  Still - the colors are beautiful, so I'll probably experiment more with this kind of work.


Done in a Stillman and Birn Delta Softcover Sketchbook 8 X 10 using  Tim Holtiz Ranger Distress Ink Pads and Markers, Faber-Castell Art Pen, and a white Sharpie acrylic paint pen.

Comments