52 Weeks of Watercolor Painting 2017 No.12 #Watercolor #52WeeksOfWatercolorPainting #StillmanAndBirn

I've decided that the new Princeton Snap brushes I'm using are not a good choice for the Stillman & Birn Beta paper.  They are stiff enough that they leave lines (which might be good if you are trying for an inscribed look), and seem to dissolve some of the paint from previous layers when you add glazes.  It's more apparent when I'm using the larger size brushes like the size 16 and 20 rounds.

This isn't entirely the fault of the brushes.  Both of those things are also an attribute of the paper, which I'm aware of, and try to incorporate into the techniques I use with this paper.  However, the combination seems to be too much of same thing.  So I'm going back to my Silver Black Velvet brushes for my '52 Weeks of Watercolor Paper' series.


I'm using a Stillman and Birn 9x12 Beta series wirebound sketchbook for all my '52 Weeks of Watercolor Paintings 2017'.

The brushes used were Princeton Snap brushes 3/4 inch flat, and Sizes 4 & 20 Round. The pigments used were Sennelier Primary Yellow, Indian Yellow, Sennelier Orange, Sap Green and Daniel Smith Lunar Blue.

Comments